Friday, April 23, 2010

Water Aerobics Etiquette




I have had a few people complain to me about trying to swim laps while the older crowd set takes water aerobics. They were not complaining to me about the waves or the music, but that the ladies wear perfume making it hard for them to breathe while swimming laps. I had never experienced this until last week.

At my gym there are still 2-3 lap swim lanes open while the water aerobics are going on. I personally love this because it makes the water choppy, which is good training for my triathlon open water swims. I always try to get a lane right by them. This particular day I had to be two lanes away. I started my workout and BAM this smell hits my nose. I figured out, shortly thereafter it was perfume, not just a little, but A LOT of perfume. After about 800 yards I started to sneeze and to get a headache.

On this particular day they have back to back water aerobics classes. Some people only stay for one class, some for both. On this day a lady from the class came over and asked if she could share a lane with me. Being that I have great Gym Etiquette, I said, "Of Course." She gets in and BAM the smell hits me even more. She was one of the offending perfume wearers. I started sneezing even more and my headache got worse. I was almost done with my workout, so I didn't say anything to her, but did complain to the aquatics director.

WATER AEROBICS GYM ETIQUETTE FOR DUMMIES TIP #1: If the gym says to shower before entering the pool, they do not mean to shower in perfume. Please leave the perfume in the locker until after your class. Thank you.

Another pet peeve of mine during the aerobics class and again, several people have complained to me about this, is when the ladies stop you from swimming your laps, and say, "Excuse me dear, could you please stop splashing? I just got my hair done and you're getting it wet."

SERIOUSLY? You are in a freakin' pool for goodness sake. You are up to your neck IN WATER, working out, IN WATER. I am swimming laps. I'm going to splash. SHEEESH!!

WATER AEROBICS GYM ETIQUETTE FOR DUMMIES TIP #2: If you just got your hair done DO NOT take water aerobics. YOU MIGHT GET WET or if you insist on taking it, please go to the front of the class, away from the lap lanes. If you like the back of the class please DO NOT complain when I splash. Thank you.

Remember to email me any gym stories, locker room stories, group workout stories, or event stories you have so that we can educate the clueless on proper gym etiquette. Email me at gymetiquette@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine was swimming laps during water areobics last week and one of the elderly people crapper the pool. Put a turd right there in the water like it was a big toilet bowl. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pool is 4 ft deep on each end and 5 ft deep in the middle. I arrive for class before anyone else and stake out my spot where the water is at chest level for me. Others, arriving later, pile into the shallow end and force me to the deeper water every time. I'm a male and the others in the class are all women so I don't say anything. I just defer and tough it out. I consider it bad etiquette to arrive late and take the best spots, forcing others to move to where it is uncomfortable to exercise. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that not only in the pool but also in any other meat should be behaved correctly.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to leave me your gym story please email it to gymetiquette@gmail.com